The Virtual Car courseware provides an opportunity to:
The Virtual Car software is designed to let students:
- Try out many different design concepts, whether they are totally crazy or workable
- Predict the performance of each concept, and choose the best alternatives
- Build prototypes by printing templates for cutting out the parts from construction board (such as foamcore or corrugated cardboard)
A Virtual Car built from foamcore
A spring "engine"
The following aspects of Engineering Design are experienced:
- Defining the problem, by recognizing physical science principles that apply to the design problem,
- Gathering information through research, experimentation, and the designs of others,
- Modeling physical principles using spreadsheets and computer models,
- Generating ideas and evaluating alternatives before building them, and
- Analysis of physical prototypes to gain information that modeling can't provide.